Construction & Property
We have extensive experience with:
- The purchase of raw and semi-improved land.
- The purchase of commercial development sites and industrial estate land.
- Long-Term ground lease agreements.
- Architect and design agreements.
- Construction Agreements.
We also represent hotels, hotel management companies and hotel investors. We assist in advising on and securing hotel and hotel construction financing. We recently added a distressed hospitality assets practice, which aims to assist investors and owners of financially distressed hospitality assets. If needed, this last practice enjoys the support of our bankruptcy and restructuring practice.
- Foreign Ownership of Land Under Consideration (Again)The Bangkok Post is reporting that the Thai government is again considering opening up land ownership to foreigners in Thailand. Foreigners are generally prohibited from owning land in Thailand, and this often comes as a surprise to foreigners from more open and developed jurisdictions where there are no such restrictions. Not surprisingly, this is generating ...Read more
- Real Estate Scams in ParadiseYears ago I saw an English language posting on Linked-In advertising the “sale” of land on Koh Chang (a Thai island) through the use of three consecutive 30 year “registered” leases for a total of 90 years. The advertisement went so far as to highlight the land’s location in a national park. When I posted ...Read more
- Thai to Seek Extension to File Bankruptcy Reorganization PlanThai Airways International Plc (“Thai”) will seek an extension to submit a bankruptcy rehabilitation plan from the end of this year until February of 2021. This could change. To recap Thai’s own history of the bankruptcy reorganization proceedings filed on behalf of or by Thai thus far: 26 May 2020 – Thai submitted a petition to enter bankruptcy ...Read more
- Effective and Persuasive English Language Advocates for Disputes in ThailandInternational arbitration is the best way to resolve cross border disputes. If the arbitration is conducted by a truly international arbitration institute, such as the Singapore International Arbitration Centre or the Thailand Arbitration Centre (THAC), the arbitration can be conducted in English, provided the arbitrator and counsel are capable of handling the proceedings in English. ...Read more
- Practical Tip on Arbitration Clauses for Thailand that Allows You to Have Your Cake and it Too.There is little dispute that international arbitration is the best way to resolve cross-border disputes. A 2018 International Arbitration Survey carried out by Queen Mary University of London in partnership with the White & Case law firm demonstrates that international arbitration is the accepted and expected means of resolving cross border disputes. The survey reports that 97% of the ...Read more
- Higher Returns for Property, Tourism, Entertainment, etc. Sectors After Pandemic EndsHigher Returns in Tourism, Property, etc., after the Pandemic Ends The Bangkok Post reported on 20 November 2020 that “Thailand’s biggest manager of distressed assets is bracing for another difficult year in 2021, as the economy faces more headwinds from the pandemic”. This article goes on to quote Bungyong Visatemongkolchai, the chairman of Bangkok Commercial Asset ...Read more
- Top 12 Things to Keep in Mind When Planning on Doing Business in ThailandThe top 12 things to keep in mind when planning to do business in Thailand: 1. Foreign Ownership of Companies and Land: This is often a surprise for business people and lawyers operating in more open economies, but foreigners are prohibited from owning land (absent narrow exceptions) and foreign majority owned businesses are prohibited from engaging in a ...Read more
- A Perfect Storm For Thailand’s Tourism SectorPfizer and BioNTech have announced the development of a vaccine that is over 90% successful in preventing Covid-19. This should open investment opportunities in Thailand, particularly in Thailand’s tourism sector. Thailand’s tourism sector and much of its economy has been in a slump since the Thai government took stringent measures to prevent the spread of Covid-19 in Thailand. Thailand’s ...Read more